Gebruikersnaam: Wachtwoord:

Auteur Topic: Fe501 rally build  (gelezen 16057 keer)

Offline member

Re: Fe501 rally build
« Reactie #135 Gepost op: 01-01-2022, 12:37 »

Post Merge: 01-01-2022, 12:37

I also replaced the white Cycra shields with black

Looks better me thinks

Post Merge: 01-01-2022, 12:40

The rally switches are narrower than the stock switch gear, which is a good thing, for reducing bar clutter.
Bad thing is, I need brackets to mount the switches:

For the top switch:

Which I modified slightly to also fit the bottom (indicator) switches

I placed the Bluetooth unit inside the tower and redid all the existing wiring, to have everything running from the 12V fuse box.

Not my best work but seeing as I always find a reason to change the wiring, I will probably change this again soon.

Once I received the extra KTM wheel sensor and wire, it will be connected to the JST connector, which will allow a much more accurate trip/distance counter in the DM2 app:

Everything mounted up and it works awesome. I'm super happy with this unit :)

The app is very responsive and I can control pretty much everything with my left thumb.
The indicator switches are also easy to access.

Although I've got a fully functional roadbook controller, heated grips, GPS, phone and mirrors mounted onto the bars, see how uncluttered this is:

Offline member

• Kom op mensen, wordt ook
  • Donateur
« Reactie #136 Gepost op: 01-01-2022, 13:04 »
Great way to start the new year. Can’t wait till  you get bored witht his project si you can sell it it to me

Offline member

« Reactie #137 Gepost op: 01-01-2022, 13:20 »
Great way to start the new year. Can’t wait till  you get bored witht his project si you can sell it it to me

;D ;D

Offline member

« Reactie #138 Gepost op: 01-01-2022, 13:21 »
Man it is all so clean and nice. Great work

Offline member

« Reactie #139 Gepost op: 01-01-2022, 16:15 »
Awesome, super nice rally bike. You are a Pietje Precies.
Husqvarna 701 Enduro LR

Offline member

« Reactie #140 Gepost op: 02-01-2022, 22:03 »
Asked my wife last night to help me set the suspension sag.
Of course she first had to take a photo of me, looking silly  ;D

Post Merge: 02-01-2022, 22:08

Ideally the rider sag should be between 100 and 110mm, but without luggage, I'm too light for the rear spring, so I set it to +-98mm with static sag at +-41mm

With that being set, we had the ultimate riding weather today, so I had to go try the new wheels, controls and whatever else I changed since my last ride!

Post Merge: 02-01-2022, 22:08

15DegC in January  :D

Man I love this fork in the whoops! Its so confidence inspiring.
The below section contains large, hard pack whoops, which go over a crest (hill) In MX terms, it's call a 'dragons back'

This was so much fun to ride, I unintentionally jumped and cleared the highest part of the dragons back. It was such a nice feeling  :D

Post Merge: 02-01-2022, 22:32

I had to avoid many horses today.
I like to pull over and let them by, really don't want to scare them  ;)

Those that are familiar with the TET between Valkenswaard and Reusel, the 2020 track contains this rather entertaining thick sand whooped out section. Its hard work but so much fun.

I believe its this section:

I noticed that the rear shock could not handle the whoops anymore (I think). Midway through my second pass of that long whoop section, the shock felt like it became very stiff. I think it might have started to overheat.
It came up hard at some stage and the seat almost threw me over the handlebars.

Fortunately I'm tall, so I could recover, but it was sketchy.

Post Merge: 02-01-2022, 22:42

Strategic parking for the day.

After letting it cool down, I could spray all the mud off and load a clean bike back onto the trailer
 8)

Post Merge: 02-01-2022, 22:53

In summary, the cush hub is sweet- the bike feels more at home on tar now.
The chain does not slap around as much in lower revs either, if you have the money, it's a nice add-on.

You can always carry the hubs over to your next ride.

The Terrain Command controller is a winner too.
I switched on my Garmin GPS but did not use it once. Effortlessly zooming in and out on Locus maps proved to be very helpful.

The forks are very nice for sure.
The stock shock cannot hang with the cone valve fork and seems to reach it's limit eventually. -but thats if you push it of course. For adv riding, its no issue

Offline member

« Reactie #141 Gepost op: 03-01-2022, 00:57 »
In MX, a shock that becomes too stiff midway through a whoops section, often indicates a rebound that is too slow. Not sure it translates well to adventure riding, but you could give it a try.

BTW: I have been following your topic with much interest and impression! Great work!
And I was surprised with the rear wheel bearing; sprocket side: The bearing looks to be much further outward from the center than the standard hub. Probably good for the stress imposed on it, not sure about the protection against getting dirt into them. Or is it the photo that's tricking me?

Offline member

« Reactie #142 Gepost op: 03-01-2022, 01:03 »
Thanks, i will adjust it next time. It's set to the stock settings at the moment.

Indeed, i also expected a bearing seal to exist, but the cush hub has 4 bearings in total, and it seems there's not enough space for 2 bearings and a seal, on the cush 'plate/disc' (whatever it's called)

I will monitor how long it lasts.. at least I have a nice bearing puller to replace the bearing when it finally dies

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Offline member

« Reactie #143 Gepost op: 03-01-2022, 11:37 »
KTM also sell additional protection, but I guess that will not fit. https://www.ktm-shop.nl/wheel-bearing-protection-cap-set-rear-125-200-250-300-350-450-500-exc-exc-f-six-days-16-18.html
I think they close off from the hub to the bushing, and you have a different hub (might still fit if the OD is the same) and no bushing...

Offline member

« Reactie #144 Gepost op: 03-01-2022, 12:46 »
Nice! I will investigate.
Thanks

Offline member

« Reactie #145 Gepost op: 03-01-2022, 19:29 »
Wow, great thread and what a nice build!
Looks somewhat like my 501 ;)

Pre rally kit in Greece:

Do you notice a difference with the transmission damping inside the rear wheel?Hearing mixed things about it. Supposedly riding on-road without it may damage the output shaft (?) of the engine..?

Offline member

« Reactie #146 Gepost op: 03-01-2022, 21:33 »
Hi Paul, nice ride you got there!

I do not notice any difference off road with the hub.
On tar (asphalt) it does feel smoother though. Smooth enough that I now prefer it over the stock hub.

The damper rubbers on the clutch basket is enough to protect the bottom end for normal use, so I won't buy a cush for that reason alone.
For Sumo, I can see the need for this though

I wanted a smoother ride on those longer asphalt sections and I do have that now

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

Offline member

« Reactie #147 Gepost op: 03-01-2022, 21:56 »
Ik kan de helft maar volgen helaas.Je hebt een mooie machine gebouwd.Alleen je bent net te laat.De Dakar is al begonnen ;D Heb ook gedempte naaf in m.n 500 gebouwd
Maar zoals vermeld de motor is er wat smeuïger van gaan rijden
Op Asfalt in terrein merk je dat niet.Vind dat de 500exc best wel wat trillingen heeft.Kan niet eerlijk zeggen of ze minder zijn geworden met gedempte naaf.Ik heb het vooral gedaan om de klappen in het blok beter op te vangen.Ik was iets van  200€ kwijt voor 640 naaf en rvs spaken en velg.

Offline member

« Reactie #148 Gepost op: 04-01-2022, 07:54 »

Do you notice a difference with the transmission damping inside the rear wheel?Hearing mixed things about it. Supposedly riding on-road without it may damage the output shaft (?) of the engine..?

It will hold up just fine with good fitting front sprocket. The transmission damping is good enough for that.

However the cush drive makes the ride that much nicer for dual sport / adventure use it is awesome. For racing/enduro/mx don’t bother.

Offline member

« Reactie #149 Gepost op: 16-01-2022, 12:57 »
KTM also sell additional protection, but I guess that will not fit. https://www.ktm-shop.nl/wheel-bearing-protection-cap-set-rear-125-200-250-300-350-450-500-exc-exc-f-six-days-16-18.html
I think they close off from the hub to the bushing, and you have a different hub (might still fit if the OD is the same) and no bushing...

This fits fine on the side where there is already a seal.

But where there is no seal, this seems to fit but it does not allow enough space to mount the wheel to the swingarm.
So no go  :(

I will just use it as it is for now and see how long the outside bearing on the sprocket side lasts.