Gebruikersnaam: Wachtwoord:

Auteur Topic: new to the Netherlands | request for information / help  (gelezen 1601 keer)

Offline member

• starter
new to the Netherlands | request for information / help
« Gepost op: 23-05-2021, 12:49 »

Hello, a year ago I moved to the Netherlands. I have always loved motorcycles and in my home country I had managed to start fulfilling the dream of riding offroad / track, I bought a KTM 350 and started to take my first steps. Shortly after buying the bike, I had the opportunity to move to Holland and I would like to try again to have a bike here but I have a lot of doubts, I appreciate any information you can give me.

A bit of context: I am a software developer so my income is average, I have a modest budget for this hobby, I also had the facility to exchange my driving license for a Dutch one so I have almost all the basic categories (A1, A2, A, B). I live in Amsterdam

my questions:
- I have seen some photos of motorcycles like the FE 501 with a license plate, is it possible to drive them on the street?
- I don't have a car, do some tracks have a "parking" service where you can leave your bike and go to use it on weekends?
- Considering that I have no friends who practice this sport here and that it is so risky, would it be prudent to ride, or is it better to give up the idea?
- Could you recommend a bike that is relatively cheap to maintain here? (cost of parts & labor).
- another option I am considering is a dual-purpose bike and offroad only, but I don't know if there are places in Holland where to do it legally?

the initial budget I want to spend on a bike is something like 5k-6k euros.

I look forward to your answers, thank you very much!

Offline member

Re: new to the Netherlands | request for information / help
« Reactie #1 Gepost op: 23-05-2021, 14:55 »
- I have seen some photos of motorcycles like the FE 501 with a license plate, is it possible to drive them on the street?
Yes. These are street legal.

- I don't have a car, do some tracks have a "parking" service where you can leave your bike and go to use it on weekends?
Not that I know of.

- Considering that I have no friends who practice this sport here and that it is so risky, would it be prudent to ride, or is it better to give up the idea?
It is not easy to get yourself in real trouble (like to the point you'd have to cut off your arm to survive ...). I often ride on my own. The biggest challenge is other traffic and ... not ending up in a canal, ditch, trench or river.

- Could you recommend a bike that is relatively cheap to maintain here? (cost of parts & labor).
If you can do maintenance your self, i'd say most bikes are quite cheap. KTM has cheapest parts and plenty resellers and workshops. If you don't do your own maintenance, i'd opt for a relatively new / low mileage/hours bike that was not trashed about.

- another option I am considering is a dual-purpose bike and offroad only, but I don't know if there are places in Holland where to do it legally?
Though more unpaved roads are being closed down every year it is still possible to do ride the ones that are still open. Pity for you, not much of them around Amsterdam. You'd have to go south, east or north-east. Truly off-road riding (cross country) is only done in organised events. Check out http://www.enduro.nl

You'd be able to buy a decent enduro or dual-sport bike for that kind of money.
for example https://www.motoroccasion.nl/motoren/yamaha-wr-450-f-m1284173.html
uit het stof zijt gij gekomen, en tot het stof zult gij wederkeren!

Offline member

• starter
« Reactie #2 Gepost op: 23-05-2021, 15:22 »
Yes. These are street legal.

Not that I know of.

It is not easy to get yourself in real trouble (like to the point you'd have to cut off your arm to survive ...). I often ride on my own. The biggest challenge is other traffic and ... not ending up in a canal, ditch, trench or river.

If you can do maintenance your self, i'd say most bikes are quite cheap. KTM has cheapest parts and plenty resellers and workshops. If you don't do your own maintenance, i'd opt for a relatively new / low mileage/hours bike that was not trashed about.

Though more unpaved roads are being closed down every year it is still possible to do ride the ones that are still open. Pity for you, not much of them around Amsterdam. You'd have to go south, east or north-east. Truly off-road riding (cross country) is only done in organised events. Check out http://www.enduro.nl

You'd be able to buy a decent enduro or dual-sport bike for that kind of money.
for example https://www.motoroccasion.nl/motoren/yamaha-wr-450-f-m1284173.html

thank you very much for your answer!

as you say that enduro bikes are street legal, I think it's definitely the best option for me, so i can ride it to the trails directly.

any recommended site to buy the equipment?

Thanks!

Offline member

• Kom op mensen, wordt ook
  • Donateur
« Reactie #3 Gepost op: 23-05-2021, 15:37 »
best (and frankly the only) dealer in the vicinity of Amsterdam is Motorhuis De Doelen in Zaandam (just North of Amsterdam): https://www.motorhuisdedoelen.nl/
They sell riding gear, new bikes and occasionally have second hand bikes as well.

What country are you from?

Offline member

« Reactie #4 Gepost op: 23-05-2021, 17:18 »
Marktplaats.nl
Voor secondhand.

Offline member

« Reactie #5 Gepost op: 23-05-2021, 18:01 »
Welcome skilled migrant!

I also moved here (South-Africa) and also a software developer  ;)
I stay close to Amsterdam too

What worked best for me, was to get a dualsport and ride the TET NL. I found the Southern part of the track to be best -its actually quite nice.

I started out with a 350sxf and the plan was to do MX. After 1 visit to the Amersfoort MX track, I decided its not for me. The sand here is next level and you have to be very fit, to really enjoy MX.

So I got a ktm 990, with the idea to see more of EU, and did a 3500km trip NL-Denmark-Sweden and back. It was amazing, but the long tar sections from NL to Sweden, not so much.

I have since decided to get a lighter bike (501) and trailer it to where I want to ride. Next planned ride, is the Pyrenees ;D

You probably also had many dirtbikes before, but if I were you, I would look for a 500/501 or WR450.
I had a YZ450 with WR gearbox, but still found it's lack of 6th gear, a deal breaker for me.

If you are OK with kicking, an XR650R could work, but on a 2000km trip, kicking gets old too.

Its a pity that my current trailer can only take 1 bike at the moment, else you are welcome to join me on a short ride near Eindhoven.
Once you have a bike, call me up, and we can rent a bigger trailer.

Offline member

• starter
« Reactie #6 Gepost op: 23-05-2021, 18:10 »
Welcome skilled migrant!

I also moved here (South-Africa) and also a software developer
I stay close to Amsterdam too

What worked best for me, was to get a dualsport and ride the TET NL. I found the Southern part of the track to be best -its actually quite nice.

I started out with a 350sxf and the plan was to do MX. After 1 visit to the Amersfoort MX track, I decided its not for me. The sand here is next level and you have to be very fit, to really enjoy MX.

So I got a ktm 990, with the idea to see more of EU, and did a 3500km trip NL-Denmark-Sweden and back. It was amazing, but the long tar sections from NL to Sweden, not so much.

I have since decided to get a lighter bike (501) and trailer it to where I want to ride. Next planned ride, is the Pyrenees

You probably also had many dirtbikes before, but if I were you, I would look for a 500/501 or WR450.
I had a YZ450 with WR gearbox, but still found it's lack of 6th gear, a deal breaker for me.

If you are OK with kicking, an XR650R could work, but on a 2000km trip, kicking gets old too.

Its a pity that my current trailer can only take 1 bike at the moment, else you are welcome to join me on a short ride near Eindhoven.
Once you have a bike, call me up, and we can rent a bigger trailer.

hey that sounds great, maybe i can contact you for advice on choosing a bike?

also my secondary plan was to take a trusty Transalph 650 - 700 and do some touring in europe, so i'm not ruling out any alternatives yet.

let me know how i can contact you and thanks!

Post Merge: 23-05-2021, 18:12
best (and frankly the only) dealer in the vicinity of Amsterdam is Motorhuis De Doelen in Zaandam (just North of Amsterdam): https://www.motorhuisdedoelen.nl/
They sell riding gear, new bikes and occasionally have second hand bikes as well.

What country are you from?

thanks, I will definitely stop by that place.

I am from Colombia!

Offline member

« Reactie #7 Gepost op: 23-05-2021, 18:18 »
I've sent you my details via PM  ;)

Offline member

• hell yeah!
« Reactie #8 Gepost op: 23-05-2021, 20:02 »
hey that sounds great, maybe i can contact you for advice on choosing a bike?

also my secondary plan was to take a trusty Transalph 650 - 700 and do some touring in europe, so i'm not ruling out any alternatives yet.

let me know how i can contact you and thanks!

Post Merge: 23-05-2021, 18:12

thanks, I will definitely stop by that place.

I am from Colombia!

peet's store is closed on Mondays..
👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽
....espangol es dificil... entonces Lo intento algo....

Offline member

• Kom op mensen, wordt ook
  • Donateur
« Reactie #9 Gepost op: 24-05-2021, 12:53 »
I am from Colombia!
in that case the enduro experience will be quite different in NL. Good luck though.