Gebruikersnaam: Wachtwoord:

Auteur Topic: Marokko, Senegal, Mali verslagje  (gelezen 4587 keer)

Offline member

• fear is a mind killer,therefore I must not fear
Marokko, Senegal, Mali verslagje
« Gepost op: 20-04-2005, 14:06 »
Een vriend van mij is nu onderweg en af en toe krijg ik een verslagje ,ik zal als hij wat stuurt dit hier plaatsen.

I've riden from Casablanca to Marrakesk and over the Tiai-n-Test pass to Taroudannt. The Tizi-n-Test pass was awfull. On the downside of the pass I was hit by very strong winds and cold temperatures.

Some Casablanca shots

The King Hassan II mosqee

Local transport

The Tizi-n-test pass

Then a came by a nice hotel in the middle of nowhere, a oasis.

The next day I rode from Taroudannt to Igherm and then to Tafraoute. Beautifull.

Then I was busted, the whole day was cold and veryu strong side winds. So near Gulmime I got to the famous Fort Bou Jerif camping. What a mistake. I had to ride 18 km off-road to get there. The dinner was nice.

The road to FBJ:

The next day on the road to Laayoune

Sorry not sharp, but still funny:

Due to the strong winds (again), rain and sable on the road

I couldn't make it to Laayoune and stopped at the Le Beduin camping 35 km north of Laayoune and stayed the night in a Beduin tent:

I hope to make it today to Dakhla.

And no, there are no more convoys from Dakhla to Hoadhibou.

Offline member

Re: Marokko, Senegal, Mali verslagje
« Reactie #1 Gepost op: 20-04-2005, 15:31 »
Net ontvangen woensdag 20 april:

The bike is handeling fine, thank you for the concern. I now mounted the Michelin Desert rear that I had on the back and burried the Pirelli Scorpion A/T somewhere in the desert (marked with GPS), so if I need it on the way back then I can dig it up again. Without the weight in the back the bike handles much better, I even jumped with the whole lot.

The problems so far:
- Two days in the trip I found out that the rear tyre had worn a piece of the sidewall of the Michelin Desert, that I had mounted on the back, away. This was bad. I mounted it differently and had it , sort of, repaired in Nouadhibou. I mounted the and it works fine.
- At the border of Mauratenia the electric starter is behaving badly. I can't solve that. I now have to start it with the decomp lever pulled in, then releasing the decomp while the motor is turning and hope that it fires.
- After some 30 kilometers into the 525 km (no fuel along this way) trip from Noadhibou to Noakcott the motor started to run idle at 4000 revs. That made it difficult to ride in the deep sand passages. But worse, I found out, it started to consume much more fuel after I went on reserve after a mered 300 km. I had to put the 10 liters of spare fuel in at 350 km, and still 175 to go. Instead of 120 i started to run 100 km/h. I really just made it.
Yesterday I removed to carburateur and found out that somehow the choke cable had worked itself out of the rubber seal and thus the bike was running very rich al the time. Solved now.

I rode now 3400 km.

I'm in Noakcott, capital of Mauratenia, now.

Along the way and today it is very hot.

The ride from Nouadhibou to Noakchott was fine, some 375 km of brand new tarmac and some 150 off piste/off-road. This piste is a mix of hard ripple gravel, hard mud, sand and very soft sand. The ripple thing is a killer. Everything vibrates like grazy, due to the fuel problems I couldn't keep it at a more confortables 100/110 km/h, but had to slow down to 70/80. Even my head shoke like it was going to hurt. Fun.
Everything still works however, even the Canon EOS 3 I have in the trunk still works.

Offline member

• KTM 690 ER '14
  • Administrator
« Reactie #2 Gepost op: 20-04-2005, 15:51 »
Dat zijn wel weer hele mooie verhalen en foto's!! Dank voor deze bijdrage en graag nog meer ::)

Offline member

« Reactie #3 Gepost op: 20-04-2005, 16:36 »
Ik heb em herkend  ;D

Leuk om te lezen / kijken trouwens.

Offline member

« Reactie #4 Gepost op: 20-04-2005, 22:15 »
A, ha, photo's again. It took over an hour to upload 12 photo's.

The Michelin Desert damage. Fixed with a patch inside

The carb is out, oops!

Donkeys on the road

Desert

Travellers dust

500 meter (0.3 mile) inside Mauretania and I got stuck

Sorry, the money is gone, no more tarmac from here (lucky for me this was for me the beginning and end of 100 km off piste)

This is Emual from Switserland on his bicycle already on the road for 2 year he is now on his way back to home. I made him some coffee.

Habour of Houadhibou

The capital of a big country and one of the main streets: Noakchott

Businesslife in the city

Offline member

« Reactie #5 Gepost op: 20-04-2005, 23:22 »
zonde he dat ze die asfalt weg daar gelegd hebben, het was zo'n mooi stuk door de woestijn!

Offline member

« Reactie #6 Gepost op: 21-04-2005, 08:59 »
zonde he dat ze die asfalt weg daar gelegd hebben, het was zo'n mooi stuk door de woestijn!

Je hoeft toch niet over die weg te rijden?

Er ligt 450km aan piste op ( en langs)  het strand, crossen door Banc D'Arguin (nationaal park)... Dit zijn overigens hele rijke visgronden, dus 's avonds lekker aan de ... ? In min uppie zou ik er niet aan denken om de strandroute te nemen, dat zal ook wel een goede reden zijn voor John om de piste te nemen. Tijd zal ook wel een rol spelen.....  ;)

Amsterdam naar Japan, Australie en Indonesie () 2007 - 20??
http://picasaweb.google.com/mbaars99

Offline member

• KTM 660/Africa Twin/DR-Z 400 E
  • In memoriam
« Reactie #7 Gepost op: 21-04-2005, 22:36 »
't was een vand e mooiste stukken van onze reis: 4 dagen alleen in de woestijn...hmmmmm
Als je het gevoel hebt dat je alles onder controle hebt, dan ga je gewoon niet hard genoeg!! - - - (www.motorbikes2africa.nl)

Offline member

« Reactie #8 Gepost op: 22-04-2005, 10:32 »
't was een vand e mooiste stukken van onze reis: 4 dagen alleen in de woestijn...hmmmmm

Ik wil het ook nog eens  meemaken, de trein tussen Nouadiboe en Choum is ook niet alles  ;D

FFE beetje offtopic, wel aardig voor reizigers een "terrorist risk map", mmmhh gevaarlijke wereld, toch maar thuis blijven??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/21_04_05_terrormap.pdf

Offline member

« Reactie #9 Gepost op: 22-04-2005, 10:51 »
Als je de trein laat voor wat hij is, en van Nouadhibou naar Atar langs het spoor rijdt, is ook erg leuk! Vooral in het laatste stuk voor Choum veel diep zand en mooie duintjes. Als je alleen bent, kun je in Nouadhibou met een paar dagen wachten altijd wel iemand vinden die ook die kant opgaat. Persoonlijk vond ik dat stuk leuker dan de route over het strand.

Leuk om die plaatjes te zien, is eigenlijk helemaal niet goed om naar te kijken....

Offline member

• KTM 660/Africa Twin/DR-Z 400 E
  • In memoriam
« Reactie #10 Gepost op: 22-04-2005, 15:05 »

FFE beetje offtopic, wel aardig voor reizigers een "terrorist risk map", mmmhh gevaarlijke wereld, toch maar thuis blijven??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/21_04_05_terrormap.pdf

Geldt alleen voor Engelsen. Eigen schuld als je Bush steunt  :-X
Als je het gevoel hebt dat je alles onder controle hebt, dan ga je gewoon niet hard genoeg!! - - - (www.motorbikes2africa.nl)

Offline member

« Reactie #11 Gepost op: 29-04-2005, 09:34 »
So the KTM has died somewhat. The auto decompression doesn't work anymore so I can't get it started. Bugger. I lifted the camshaft cover and found that the auto decomp ring on the camshaft is hanging loose. Not good.
I contacted KTM Sommer Germany if they can send a new camshaft. See what happens.

Hi all,

The starter problem is solved, it njust needs a new battery. :)
And because I'm used to kickstarting my GS-400 LC/4 I tought that the 640 was msbehaving. But I'm just the amateur in kickstarting big tumpers. Tank for all th advise!

I never tougt that a 10000 miles/2 year old battery could be bad, but it is. I try to find a new battery here. And kickstart the thing meanwhile. It is 35 degrees celsius out here so not easy........

Thanks to KTM Sommer Germany for their excellent help.

Tomorro I go to the east of Mauretania......

I would love not to start the engine with the decomp lever pulled in but there is no otherway at the moment. I'm not going to kick start it in the 35 degree celsuis/95 degree fahrenheit while I can still electric start it. sorry about the camlever.

I'm now in St.Louis, Senegal and having a much better time then I did in Mauretania. What a much better and friendlier country/people is this. People smiling again, something theydon't do in Mauretania. Much cleaner streets.
All good. And they have beer here............

Tomorrow I go to Dakar to find a battery for the Adventure.

Yesterday I rode in scoring heat the 200 km from Noakchott to Rosso, the brodertown to Senegal, to be hassled in Rosso by lying, cheating morrons. I quickly made my escape to Diama for a beautiful 100km off-road piste. Blasted that in 1.5 hours.
In Diama I teamed up with four Portugese guys on 3 BMW's GS and "sadly" one Honda Varadero. This was good, as a team you can get over a border cheaper that as a indivuel. It still cost, including insurrance, 54 euro to get across to border.

What a stupid keyboard, this is the third time I started this story. There is a off switch on the keyboard mounted just below the delete button. So, if you slip of the delete button then you switch off the computer. Happened now twice; bugger.

Again no photo's because this internet cafe has his computers shut thight.

I'm in Dakar now, capital of Senegal. Don't come here useless urgently needed. It's dirty, crowded and there is nothing to see or visit. Only "Ile de Goreee", the island from where the Dutch, French and Britisch have trnasported slaves to the Americas. So to you Afro-Americans, today I saw, from a distance, the island from where your great, great parents where shipped to the States. Maybe I will visit but that means I have to stay another two nights in Dakar. And I don't want to do that.
I'm in the search for a battery for the Adventure. Being that there are hardly any telfone books in West-Africa, I thought that it was going to be a struggle to find something, however. Coming back from a walk from my hotel, there are no campinggrounds in Dakar, I saw a Nissan Patrol in front of the hotel with a KTM sticker on the back. I ask the driver/owner of the vehicle if the knew any good motorbike shops. Turns out he is the owner of a KTM service point in Dakar, this can't be true. Bumping into the sole KTM man in west africa in font of my hotel.
Tomorrow a new battery and a oil change and then of to Mali.

Today I rode from St. Louis to Dakar, 290 km of tarmac. Very hot. There where a lot of animal corpses, cow, horse, goat, camel, along the road due to the drought. Even a monkey near the Zebrabar camping I was on, but that was a roadkill.

See you.

In Dakar I got a new battery, that said it was only a 7 amps not the required 10 amps. The guy had travelled half the city to get the battery from somewhere. So I thought, I give it a go and tossed the acid in. Wrong, 7 amps is not enough to turn the engine. Cost me a fortune. I'm now getting good at kickstarting the thing.

I stayed in Dakar one night. I tried the Radison but that was about 120 euro's a night.

The next morging a put a new battery in and removed the camshaftcover again to put some liauid gasket in because ity was leaking. I had been busy all morging. In the afternoon I rode to Lac Rose, the finishing place of Paris-Dakar, and stayed there a night. I had a swim in the Lake, the lake is just a sealty as the dead sea, so you float on top of the water, very strange.

The next day I rode to Tambaconda, the inlands of Senegal, it was very very hot. Near Koussanar, 20 km before Tambaconda, I shaw I French girl on a small motorbike (125 cc twostroke) coming out of the bush with a local lady on the back. I asked her if a could set up a tent where she was going. I ended sleeping in some sort of Socio dormetory/sleeping hall. I got a nice spagetti meal from a shared bowl. All very nice. On the way to the camp the small bike couldn't handling the heat a weight, so I took the lady on te back, here dress flapping around like crazy, but see had a laugh.
The sleeping hall had an inside thermometer, 37 degrees celsius it said.

The next day I rode from Koussanar to Kedougou, way in the South of Senegal near the Guinee border. I rode through the National Parc Du Niokolo Koba, I see a lot of monkeys in the parc. The parc border guards offered my lunch so I sat down and eat some of their rice with fish dish, lovelly.
Oh, did I tell you it was hot, my god it is hot. I switch off the bike for 1 hour and still it showed two bars of the watertemp.
I couldn't ride anymore with my jacket one, so I continued in my T-shirt. Burned my arms.
I stopped in the Relais de Kedougou hunting lodge. Very nice with a good pool. Why am I not in it now? Oke I hurry back to the lodge now......

Tomorrow I ride from Keduogou to Saray then Keniaba and then Manantalli or Bafoulabe in Mali. That is nearly all off-road piste.

The Adventure started leaking oil of the gear linkqge.

Offline member

« Reactie #12 Gepost op: 15-07-2005, 13:18 »
Het draadje op advrider.com loopt weer vol met foto's

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1648830#post1648830

Offline member

« Reactie #13 Gepost op: 20-07-2005, 00:41 »
uit het draadje, kan handig zijn.....

Citaat
Some conclusions from the trip:

Good equipment:
-KTM Adventure 640, 2003.
-Pirelli MT-21 front.
-Michelin Desert Rear.
-Arai Tour-X helmet.
-Hein Gericke Tuareg rally Gore-Tex jacket and pants.
-Alpinestars S-MX 2 air carbon gloves.
-Alpinestars Vector boots.
-Primus Multifuel stove.
-Garmin GPSmap 60GS.
-KTM luggage rack and Touratech cases.
-Acrapovic full exhaust system.
-Very small Coleman tent.

Not needed or bad equipment that I took with me:
-Front and rear sprockets. (I didn't need them).
-Canon EOS-3 with Sigma 28-70 lens. (I took about 15 slides before a screw came loose in the lens making it useless).
-Spare rear inner tube. (The front spare I did used).
-Motocross googles with spare lens (I used the Arai Tour-X visor).
-Garmin Worldmap (It is very old).
-RAM mount for the GPS.

What I needed but I didn't bring:
-Air filter oil and maybe airfilter cleaner.
-Motocross summer pants (cooler then the Hein Gericke pants).

What went wrong:
-The starter gear on the KTM broke.
-The seal of the switcher axle worked itself out of the axle.
-The Sigma lens broke because a screw came loose in the lens.
-The battery charger broke because a capacitor broke of the printplate due to vibrations.
-The bike used to much fuel when riding slowly due to a carb modification.

Dus, een -KTM Adventure 640, 2003. is GOOD equipment... Thx, dat had ik net nodig...  ;)

Offline member

• KTM 690 ER '14
  • Administrator
« Reactie #14 Gepost op: 20-07-2005, 07:17 »
uit het draadje, kan handig zijn.....

Dus, een -KTM Adventure 640, 2003. is GOOD equipment... Thx, dat had ik net nodig...  ;)

Wel eerst effe een ander voorwiel halen dan hè??